finished HP embroidery!

My friend’s birthday was yesterday, which meant she came over to get her present—and she remembered to bring her Harry Potter scarf too, so she got her present from last year as well! 😉

I have had this embroidery finished for a while, but since we only see each other sporadically it’s been hard to find a time to iron it onto the actual scarf (which my friend handknit years ago).

But now it is completely finished!!!

I’m so happy with how it turned out. I always get a little nervous using fusible things, in case it doesn’t adhere to the materials well. But luckily it worked beautifully! I also hadn’t seen the scarf in a while, and forgot how well the colors matched. I guess the hour we spent matching thread and yarn was worth it!

Anyway, my friend and I both loved the final project. It’s so nice when things go well.

Advertisements

harry potter!

Today I thought I’d share one of the embroidery projects I’m very proud of. My friend requested a harry potter ravenclaw patch to put on a scarf she knit, as she wanted it to match the colors of her scarf perfectly. Off we went to the craft shop, and after some exceptionally careful color-matching, I walked away with some embroidery thread and promised to make one!

IMG_0753-001

Yeah, that was three years ago. 😦 Oops! Either way, I finally finished the ravenclaw patch this winter, and now am just waiting until I can stitch it onto my friend’s scarf for her. I’m so happy with how it turned out, however, because this was a very ambitious embroidery project for me. I’m still very much a beginner, and that much satin stitch was somewhat overwhelming. Not to mention how tiny it is!

IMG_3125

I simplified the design from the official store version, leaving out the braid in the crest’s border and slightly altering the edge lines especially. Most of it I worked in satin stitch, although I used long and short stitch for the white part of the banner and for the eagle’s body. I found Mary Corbet’s tutorial extremely helpful for that! I then used a fusible webbing for the appliqué, and will also reinforce that with stitching once I add it to the scarf.

I’m sure any reasonably sharp-eyed critic can spot a few mistakes, but I’m excited to see it on the scarf—I think it’ll end up looking rather fancy! 🙂